A Frightful Accident

Union Light Heat and Power Company, Fargo

I have a collection of newspapers (The Fargo Forum and Daily Republican) from the first half of 1898, and the June 19th, 1898 issue contains a story about a terrible accident that occurred at the Hughes Electric Company in downtown Fargo.

FRIGHTFUL ACCIDENT
Night Engineer Champlain of the Hughes Electric Co. Has His Left Arm Torn Off. He Was Nervy.

About 11 o’clock last night people in the vicinity of the Hughes Electric Co. were startled by a shriek. It was such a terrible one that those who heard it knew someone had been hurt, and there was a rush for the company’s plant. N.P. Officer McIntyre was the first to reach the place and found the night engineer, Boyd Champlain, with one arm in the commutator, being slowly ground to a pulp, and the unfortunate man in the most intense agony.  Continue reading “A Frightful Accident”

The Fargo Waldorf Hotel

Fargo Waldorf Hotel

The Waldorf Hotel was built in 1899 on the corner of Front Street and 7th Street. Below: The Waldorf Hotel as it appeared in its original four-story configuration.  Continue reading “The Fargo Waldorf Hotel”

Front Street, 1909

A view from Broadway and Front Street, 1909, looking west-southwest. The four-story Waldorf Hotel can be seen at the end of the block, opposite a two-story deLendrecies building.  Continue reading “Front Street, 1909”

A 1910 Parade on Front Street

Moody's 1910

These photos were found in a local antique store and depict a parade as it travels west on Front Street (Main Avenue) and then turns north on Broadway. Judging by the American Flags in the crowd and in the windows of the structures in the background, this is likely a 4th of July parade.  Continue reading “A 1910 Parade on Front Street”

The Comstock Hotel

A late-fifties view looking northwest from the corner of Center Avenue and 8th Street in Moorhead. The Comstock Hotel advertised individual room thermostats and a “60¢ All You Can Eat” special. Other businesses on the block included the Las Vegas Lounge, Wold Drug, Eddy’s Coffee Shop, Gambles, and Scheels Hardware. The sign for the FM Hotel is barely visible on the left. Continue reading “The Comstock Hotel”

Front Street and 4th Street, Moorhead

The postcard below was mailed in 1909 and depicts Front Street (Center Avenue) in Moorhead in a view unrecognizable today. Continue reading “Front Street and 4th Street, Moorhead”